[sustran] Re: Slowth - concept

Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory edelman at greenidea.eu
Wed Jan 2 21:11:12 JST 2008

Hi Sudhir,

Sudhir wrote:
> [...]
> the main issue is should we allow such an arrangement to all modes??
> Or should we allow the mass transportation modes which are only 5% of all vehicular modes to travel at 30kmph slowing down the other modes intentionally.

5% of number of vehicles? I think a better percentage to look at is that
of passenger throughput (and also emissions per passenger mile, etc.).
And remember, that speed limits are just made up things, based on what
is acceptable from view of crashes, getting somewhere etc. 30km/h is a
good speed, I would argue, not because it slows down cars to an
acceptable level (and in my view no speed for a personal car in a city
is acceptable) but because it is more or less the normal top speed - or
nominal speed -  for cycling on level ground (not talking about
sports... or tailwinds) in attention to the perception things already
mentioned.

BUT, thanks... that gives me a few ideas...

- T
> Regards
> Sudhir

Todd Edelman
Director
Green Idea Factory

Korunni 72
CZ-10100 Praha 10
Czech Republic

Skype: toddedelman
++420 605 915 970
++420 222 517 832

edelman at greenidea.eu
http://greenideafactory.blogspot.com/
www.flickr.com/photos/edelman

Green Idea Factory is a member of World Carfree Network
www.worldcarfree.net