[sustran] Re: Slow transport? (edited slightly -sorry)

Todd Alexander Litman litman at vtpi.org
Wed Jan 2 03:23:29 JST 2008

Lee, I think you raise an important point: that our ultimate goal is
to maximize human happiness (or more technically "social welfare")
which requires consideration of factors such as the urban quality of
life and cultural preservation. Understanding how to make dense
megacities livable will be a major challenge. It may be that there is
a city size and density that is overall optimal, beyond which
incremental economic and social costs exceed the benefits. I suspect
that many countries would benefit by encouraging more development in
secondary cities, to avoid excessive city size. However, megacities
exist so we shouldn't dismiss them. I've been impressed with the
quality of development in some large cities, such as Seoul, where
thoughtful planning is responsive to residents quality of life, for
example, by creating urban villages (residential neighborhoods with
public services and opportunities for social interactions) and
preserving public greenspace.

Best New Years Wishes,
-Todd Litman

Sincerely,
Todd Alexander Litman
Victoria Transport Policy Institute (www.vtpi.org)
litman at vtpi.org
Phone & Fax 250-360-1560
1250 Rudlin Street, Victoria, BC, V8V 3R7, CANADA
"Efficiency - Equity - Clarity"