[sustran] Re: Slow transport?

Todd Alexander Litman litman at vtpi.org
Tue Jan 1 02:16:13 JST 2008

Your question raises several related issues:

First is the distinction between "mobility" and "accessibility"
(http://www.vtpi.org/access.pdf ). Most current transport planning
uses indicators that reflect mobility, and so inherently favor higher
speed modes over lower speed modes, and mobility over accessibility.
For example, transportation engineers often use estimates of vehicle
traffic delays and roadway level-of-service (LOS) ratings to identify
where transportation improvements are needed, which justifies
widening roadways, even if this reduces access by walking and
cycling, and stimulates sprawled land use patterns, which increases
the distance that people must travel to reach destinations. Many
planning professionals now realize that improving land use
accessibility (for example, by creating more compact, walkable
communities) is a legitimate way to improve transportation.

In addition, many planners now recognize the effects of "induced
travel" and a "constant travel time budget"
(http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf ) which imply that efforts to
increase travel speeds do not really reduce congestion or save travel
time over the long run, they stimulate more mobility and sprawl. This
may provide direct benefits to users (the people who travel more and
live in more distant communities) but imposes numerous external costs
on soceity, including increased traffic congestion, accident risk,
land use impacts, energy consumption and sprawl
(http://www.vtpi.org/landuse.pdf ).

Since travel time costs are a major factor in transportation project
evaluation, it is important that it be correctly valued
(http://www.vtpi.org/tca/tca0502.pdf ). Unfortunately, most current
travel models are biased in ways that undervalue walking, cycling and
public transit service quality improvements, and overvalue highway
capacity expansion, because they ignore the higher cost that should
be assigned to unpleasant conditions (walking on busy roads that lack
sidewalks, crossing busy highways, waiting for a bus alongside a busy
roadway, traveling by crowded bus or train), which should give
priority to improvements to these modes
(http://www.vtpi.org/quality.pdf ). Described differently, more
objective transportation investment models would be willing to spend
as much to reduce per-minute travel time costs (for example, by
reducing bus crowding or improving pedestrian conditions) as is spent
to reduce the minutes spent in travel (for example, by widening roadways).

In addition, current planning practices tend to undercount total
walking and cycling activity, and ignore or undervalue many of the
benefits of shifts from motorized to nonmotorized modes
(http://www.vtpi.org/walkability.pdf ). Fortunately, many people
within the transportation planning profession are realizing these
points. For example, many recent issues of the Institute of
Transportation Engineers Journal
(http://www.ite.org/itejournal/index.asp ) have been filled with
articles concerning pedestrian and transit improvement techniques.

Best wishes,
-Todd Litman

and the implications of a fixed travel time budget.

At 07:14 AM 12/31/2007, Carlosfelipe Pardo wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Does anyone know of any research or theory of urban planning or
>transport planning that takes *speed* as a factor to be taken into
>account? I have been searching for this and haven't found anything.
>I thought about this because I've seen that transport planning normally
>takes land use, modes, infrastructure and other factors into account,
>but it doesn't seem to take speed as a component in its own right.
>
>The only explicit reference I could find was Le Corbusier, who
>emphasizes the role of high speeds in a city, and plans around those
>high speeds (elevated highways, etc). Should we think about slowness as
>a *positive* characteristic of transport? Should we propose slow
>transport as one solution to the problem?
>
>I think slowness should be promoted not just for reasons of road safety
>but for issues of sustainability in shorter distances traveled (slower
>speeds means longer travel times, so people would try to reduce their
>travel distances) and thus lower energy expenditures and emissions. Of
>course, this would need us to think about strategies to reduce speeds,
>which would include what we're normally promoting (bicycles, pedestrian
>areas, 30km/h speed limits, etc).
>
>Comments on this are most welcome.
>
>Ah, and happy new year!
>
>Best regards,
>
>--
>Carlosfelipe Pardo

>to join the real sustran-discuss and get full membership rights. The
>yahoogroups version is only a mirror and 'members' there cannot post
>to the real sustran-discuss (even if the yahoogroups site makes it
>seem like you can). Apologies for the confusing arrangement.

>SUSTRAN-DISCUSS is a forum devoted to discussion of people-centred,
>equitable and sustainable transport with a focus on developing
>countries (the 'Global South').

Sincerely,
Todd Alexander Litman
Victoria Transport Policy Institute (www.vtpi.org)
litman at vtpi.org
Phone & Fax 250-360-1560
1250 Rudlin Street, Victoria, BC, V8V 3R7, CANADA
"Efficiency - Equity - Clarity"