[sustran] LEVELS OF BUS NETWORKS

CP Bhatnagar cpbhatnagar at yahoo.co.in
Mon Feb 25 13:47:16 JST 2008

1.	Level I: The basic level is when buses are run without too much control. Perhaps a nominal timetable exists, which the operator is expected to follow through self-discipline.
2.	Level II: Next level is when we attach a GPS atop each bus monitored by a control room. Now, we can track in real time and record the same so we can do critical deviational analysis and pinpoint shortcomings and glitches such as delayed start-ups and critical traffic bottlenecks en-route. We may also simultaneously graduate to printed ticketing. This done, the scheme is considered ‘successful’ and a far advance over what is prevalent. Examples: Bangalore and Indore.
3.	Level III: Next level is when we build dedicated bus corridors- either in the inside or the outside lanes- so the remaining traffic cannot intrude. The problem here is that the space for buses has been filched at the expense of remaining personalized traffic, which now has one less lane. When it is seen that the bus lane is not fully occupied, there is great anger on part of the personalized vehicle owners, who feel cheated. Perhaps, in addition to printed ticketing, some Passenger Information System has been added at the bus stops. Yet, this is considered even a greater success if we do not take into account the immense cost involved in achieving just this much. This is generally the BRT level.
4.	Level VI: Next level is when we consider the available road space to be a ‘precious commodity’ and are interested in its fullest utilization through close packing of vehicles. Then we have moved to the HCBS level. Here we attempt to maximize passenger handling capacity. This is done through networking and automation using electronics. The corridors are now ‘wired’ with Optic-fibre and link the control room as well as the bus depots. In turn, they identify and ‘speak’ to the moving buses with on-board equipment (but no GPS) through wireless- Wi-Max, say. Only ITS compatible buses can use this corridor. The bus driver is automatically directed as to the desired speed and other operational parameters. The passengers get an on-board PIS. Ticketing data is now recorded and transferred real-time. The docking of the bus at the stations is exact and passenger ingress-egress quick and efficient. The intersections give priority to corridor buses.
 Pedestrian lights are automatically controlled as well. CCTV cameras give security coverage and inform visually about traffic bottlenecks en-route. This is the real HCBS where high-capacity Trolley buses (ideally electric powered, with regenerative braking through overhead lines) are being run to as little as 30 second frequency and hence maximize the road space utilization. This is when we achieve equivalent of the Metro’s capacity at 1/10th the cost! This is what the Delhi system needs to achieve eventually.

PS: I need to be enlightened as why so much public money is being spent on re-building the (elevated) bus lane (vested interests?). Instead, why cant a simpler solution to isolating the bus lane from the normal traffic be found? And, instead, why can’t some of the money saved thus, be invested into holistic systems design and better electronic networking (Intelligent Transport System- ITS) using the very latest in technology. Yes, networking costs are going to be high in the short-run since most of the on-board equipment will have to come from the west, but in the long-run, this can be indigenized easily considering the large no. of buses involved.

C.P.Bhatnagar
Delhi

      Did you know? You can CHAT without downloading messenger. Go to http://in.messenger.yahoo.com/webmessengerpromo.php/