[sustran] Re: Fw: Delhi BRT

Jonathan Richmond richmond at alum.mit.edu
Sun Feb 24 15:10:34 JST 2008

What we are planning to do in Mauritius is to combine GPS-style tracking
with a comprehensive control system.

The idea is to have an open busway that operates like a closed busway.

The route has two parts. One uses a disused rail alignment, the other a
new bus only lane to be put on a motorway. The two branches merge and
continue along the motorway alignment to Port Louis. For both branches,
bus routes will be able to join at a number of locations. There will also
be express lanes to bypass stations and permit nonstop services.

To avoid the sort of congestion which can plague this sort of open busway
approach, a rail-like signalling system is proposed. Buses will face
signals at all entrances to the system, at stations, and at other key
points as they nake progress. Dividing the system into blocks, as on a
railway, will ensure that no more buses are allowed into any one section
than will ensure free flow -- although with the difference that the strict
rail rule that no more than one train is allowed into a particular block
at any one time can be relaxed to allow the optimum number of buses.

A tracking system will be used to provide data on bus locations to a
control tower, which will operate and monitor the performance of the
signalling system.

                              --Jonathan

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008, Paul Barter wrote:

> These message from a non-member of the list was held by our hyperactive
> filters. Trying to forward to the list now.
>
> Paul
> ---------
>
> On Sat, 23/2/08, Muralidhar Rao <murali7727 at yahoo.co.in> wrote:
>
>    Subject: GPS based bus tracking service
>
>    Dear Mr Bhatnagar
>
>    I refer to the following extracts from your comments on the Delhi BRTS
>
>    It may be noted that GPS has already proved unfeasible in the past as
> well. The information furnished by GPS merely tells us about the timeliness
> of the service and does in no way serve as a communication or a networking
> medium.
>
>    In this connection, I would like to invite you to visit the site
>    http://www.clinf.com/yi/Index.html
>    detailing a GPS based bus tracking service which had been working quite
> successfully in Bangalore. The users comments may also be accessed at
>
> //www.eventsbangalore.net/2007/03/01/yelli-iddira-where-r-u-tracking-bangalo
> re-volvo-buses/x
>
>    I expect it will interest you.
>
>    Regards, Muralidhar Rao

-----
Jonathan Richmond
Transport Adviser to the Government of Mauritius
Ministry of Public Infrastructure, Land Transport and Shipping
Level 4
New Government Centre
Port Louis
Mauritius

+230 707-1134 (Mauritius mobile: most reliable way to reach me at
all times)

+1 (617) 395-4360 (US phone number rings at home -- call me in
Mauritius for the price of a call to the US).

+1 (425) 998-0998 (US phone number, connects to mobile phone when in
wifi zone, or goes to voice mail)

+44 (0)7978 807532 (UK mobile number, connects to mobile phone when in
wifi zone, or goes to voice mail). This is also a SIP number. If you
have a SIP phone you can reach me by dialing: sip:447978807532 at truphone.com

>From Google Talk you can add me as a contact by clicking add and
then entering ext+447978807532 at truphone.com. Clicking on this address
will then ring my mobile phone when I am in a wifi zone, or go to voice
mail at other times.

e-mail: richmond at alum.mit.edu
http://the-tech.mit.edu/~richmond/