[sustran] Re: Social Roads

Paul Barter paulbarter at nus.edu.sg
Tue Feb 19 12:32:58 JST 2008

Let's all take a deep breath and count to ten.

First, let's not be too hasty to talk of throwing anyone off the list.

However, let's all please try harder to keep the discussions here VERY
CIVIL. This is especially important here because of the international
and multicultural membership of the list.  For those who are used to a
very vigorous and frank style of debate, please try to be a bit more
gentle and muted here. We want to encourage participation from a very
wide range of countries. Overly robust attacks on other people's
contributions do not make for an atmosphere that is welcoming and
friendly. We want to hear diverse perspectives and viewpoints and from
people whose first language is not English and who may be from cultures
where speaking out is more difficult than it is for Europeans or South
Asians (for example).

So Todd, you were perhaps a bit too robust and perhaps even a little
rude in attacking so many of the word choices in the Bartlett
contribution. There is nothing wrong with discussing the politics of
terminology. We should. But Mr Bartlett's message was not the right
target for such an attack. His forwarded message was perfectly
appropriate for the list and his choices to use the words, "accident"
and "holistic" were appropriate in the context of discussing problems
with a mainstream road project. Note the references to "people-centred
and equitable" in the list description. The suggestions may not be
revolutionary enough for some but there is no doubt their intention is
to shift road plannning in a more 'people-centred and equitable'
direction.

Please be aware that this list is not limited to the deep green end of
the spectrum. We welcome discussion of small steps in the right
direction (and discussion of what is the right direction) just as much
as more revolutionary changes. I fear people will stop using this
discussion list if they have to worrry too much about being attacked for
not being purist enough in their perspective and choice of words.

All the best

Paul
(co-manager of sustran-discuss)

Paul A. Barter | Assistant Professor | LKY School of Public Policy
National University of Singapore