[sustran] Social Roads

Sudhir sudhir at secon.in
Thu Feb 14 12:01:36 JST 2008

Dear All,

 Would like to continue the discussion with emphasis on Indian Highways,

 As per India governmental report "A research project entitled
'Establishment
 of System for Identification and Rectification of Accident Black Spots'
 suggests that 78 percent of such accidents occur due to road user's
behavior
 on road stretches"

 The main catch is what is exactly is the road user's behavior?

 We are converting the current full access 2 lane National highways to
 partially access controlled highways proclaiming 100Kmph design speed for
 the entire corridor. With the access restricted and motorist paying toll,
he
 is willing to speed up to recover the money (toll) in an indirect way.

 The partial prevention of access to the local residing near the vicinity of
 the road from ages forces him to use it illegally (crossing the road not as
 per rule book) to cross or access the roads thus increasing the risks.

 Our roads are full of such diverse situations and behaviors. The Social,
 Commercial aspects of the people influenced by the Transport Corridor in
the
 project influence area should be considered as the transport problem for
 better safety management. The Highway Design should ideally incorporate
such
 behaviors with design providing forgiving road side environment with
 reduction in adverse social impact which we often neglect.

 Regards
 Sudhir
 Project Engineer,
 Highways Div.