[sustran] Social Roads

eric.britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Thu Feb 14 01:08:09 JST 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Bartlett [mailto:roadnotes at freenet.de]
Sent: Wednesday, 13 February 2008 15:26
To: Gender and Transport
Subject: [gatnet] Benin - Social Roads

A few months ago I posted a message about describing the religious use of
transport corridors. This topic now been included in a new photo-publication
on roads in Benin. The document details are:

"In African countries, often the accidents which occur on roads and railway
lines have nothing to do with transport itself. They are much more related
to the social and commercial activities which the local population carry out
on or next to the transport facility. In rural areas inin sub-Saharan Africa
the non-transport activities which are carried out on or next to the
road/railway are easily apparent. For
example, herds of cattle, goats or pigs graze next to the road and present a
safety hazard. This document describes in words and pictures some of the
"social uses" - including rural economic uses - which transport corridors
are put to in Benin. The author of the document is Mr. Felicien Amakpe, who
is a Benin citizen and an agronomics engineer.
38 pages including covers, 35+ photos. PDF A4 landscape layout. Version
1.03, January 2008 (English)".

You're welcome to contact me for more details, availability etc. or visit
the document's LULU page at
http://www.lulu.com/content/2032437

Regards,

REB