[sustran] Indonesia to spray train roof riders

Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory edelman at greenidea.eu
Mon Feb 11 23:36:29 JST 2008

Indonesia to spray train roof riders

Reuters - Saturday, February 9 06:57 am
JAKARTA (Reuters) -
<http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20080209/tod-uk-indonesia-train-6d5fb3c_1.html>

Indonesian commuters riding on the roofs of trains will be sprayed with
coloured liquid so that security officers can identify and arrest them,
a report said on Saturday.Electric trains linking the Indonesian capital
and its neighbouring towns are packed with passengers during rush hours,
with many sitting on the roofs due to a lack of space
<http://uk.news.yahoo.com/space.html> inside or to avoid paying.

After several failed attempts to discourage roof riders over years, the
state owned railway company PT Kereta Api will from next week douse them
with a coloured liquid so that officers can identify them when they get
off the train, the Jakarta Post said.

"We will confiscate their IDs and give them a ticket," Kereta Api
regional spokesman Akhmad Sujadi was quoted as saying.

"We will send a copy of the ticket to their family, their local
neighbourhood unit head, their employer, or, if they're students, their
headmasters," added Sujadi, who described the move as "unique".

Although illegal, roof riding is rampant due to a lack of efficient and
affordable means of transport
<http://uk.news.yahoo.com/fc/motoring-transport.html> for commuters in
the greater Jakarta area. At least 53 roof riders have been killed in
the past two years, the Post said.

(Reporting by Ahmad Pathoni, Editing by Alex Richardson)

Todd Edelman
Director
Green Idea Factory

Korunni 72
CZ-10100 Praha 10
Czech Republic

Skype: toddedelman
++420 605 915 970
++420 222 517 832

edelman at greenidea.eu
http://greenideafactory.blogspot.com/
www.flickr.com/photos/edelman

Green Idea Factory is a member of World Carfree Network
www.worldcarfree.net

CAR is over. If you WANT it.