[sustran] Bogotá's Carfree day 2008 (or taxi day 2008, or bicycle day 2008, or motorcycle day 2008)

Carlosfelipe Pardo carlosfpardo at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 22:52:30 JST 2008

Even with the new mayor, Bogotá can't escape the mandate of having the
10th citiwide Carfree day today (thank God). When coming out this
morning to see what had changed, I noticed the following:

- There were no cars (duh... except for those of diplomats and
high-level government officials...not a very coherent message)

- There were too many motorcycles, taxis and traditional buses (see a
sample: http://flickr.com/photos/carlosfpardo/2247897607/ )

- There were lots of bicycles... mainly young people (which gives us
more hope), plus the ones who, like me, anyway take the bicycle to work
every day... a sample of this as well:
http://flickr.com/photos/carlosfpardo/2248690270/

- Those who are not wearing a helmet are taken to a police officer and
scolded at for a short while, plus they have to sign their name in a
booklet (I still don't understand the signature part)... they are not
fined or taken anywhere, they're just told "remember to wear a helmet".

I also wrote a small column in the local newspaper, and comments in the
website have been: "lovely article" and "you crazy extremist"...

Interesting day... I hope there is more to tell after the day is over.

--

Carlosfelipe Pardo
Coordinador de Proyecto- Project Coordinator