[sustran] City Bikes in developing world cities

eric.britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Fri Feb 1 16:23:28 JST 2008

Dear Sir,

I am Sudhir, a researcher on sustainability issues from India. I have been
following the mails in world city bike forum.

I would like to indicate the issue pertaining to cyclists in developing
countries like India. We don't have any infrastructure like cycletracks in
cities like Bangalore.

Let us consider the Bangalore Case.

*	As per my estimate  Bangalore loses out nearly 208 million Rs per
day due to congestion.
*	Cycling as a mode of transport is virtually non existent in
Bangalore (less than 2%).
*	Bangalore has nearly 477853 cycles which contribute only 15%
operational trips.
*	We don't have promoters of cycling mode and thus no public outcry.
*	We even don't have proper design code for the Cycle Tracks (only
code available is IRC-11-1962)

 Sir, can we also concentrate upon developing countries in order to gain
momentum.

With Kind Regards

Sudhir
Project Engineer,