[sustran] Re: Sustran-discuss Digest, Vol 64, Issue 22- cycling Xiamen

Cornie Huizenga cornie.huizenga at cai-asia.org
Wed Dec 31 13:13:33 JST 2008

Hi all,

I just returned from Xiamen and I was surprised to see the message that
"since they (bicycle lanes) have completely dissappered in Xiamen". I walked
quite a lot through the city and saw dedicate cycle lanes in many parts of
the city. Also a very nice pedestrian board walk of more than 10 kilometer
along the east coast beach.

The BRT is great and even the taxi drivers thought it was a success.

  Cornie

> Today's Topics:
>
>   1. When all the Chinese have cars! Update: Xiamen plans to   build
>      a bike traffic network (eric britton)

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 09:28:40 +0100
> From: "eric britton" <eric.britton at ecoplan.org>
> Subject: [sustran] When all the Chinese have cars! Update: Xiamen
>        plans to        build a bike traffic network
> To: <sustran-discuss at list.jca.apc.org>,
>        <WorldTransport at yahoogroups.com>
> Cc: LotsLessCars at yahoogroups.com, KyotoWorldCities at yahoogroups.com
>
> On Behalf Of Rory McMullan
>

> Dear Eric and others who may be interested,
>
> On my extended tour of China, I am spending some days on the lovely car
> free
> island of Gu lan yu, a few hundred metres across a narrow strait from the
> busy town of Xiamen with its fantastic brand new BRT system.
>
> Just a few days ago I visited the amazing folk at the local environmental
> protection NGO XiaMen Green Cross, who organise the car free day here. They
> told me the sad news that a man had been killed that morning on a bike, and
> his head was completely squashed, making their job of promoting green
> transport even more difficult. I suggested they should campaign get bike
> lanes back into the city, since they have completely dissappered even
> though
> the majority of people do not own cars. They of course told me that they
> had
> been working to protect bike lanes for over a decade, so far without much
> success, although some roads they have campaigned for, have now been
> pedestrianised.
>
> Then opening my email this morning, I found an email from a friend at
> Beijing Transport University with this good news.... (translated using
> google I'm afraid, but you should get the idea)
>
> http://www.tranbbs.
> <http://www.tranbbs.com/news/cnnews/Construction/news_36353.shtml>
> com/news/cnnews/Construction/news_36353.shtml
> Xiamen plans to build a bike traffic network
>
> Future in Xiamen, the public will be able to easily bike or walk by the
> shortest route between the approach of district. In yesterday's mayor on
> the
> green, Xiamen Planning Secretary Zhao Jing said, Xiamen Road, consider the
> introduction of non-motorized system.
>
>    ???said that in the future, bicycle travel system will form a ring
> around the whole city traffic. In Xiamen between every two residential
> building, must be set aside a channel in order to protect the bike and
> walking can be smoothly carried out, the public so long as cycling or
> walking, you can easily reach another district.
>
>     In addition, Xiamen will be divided into three regions to build the
> region on foot, and divided by color, which specifically refers to urban
> green area built-up area outside the context of the mountain, mainly to
> satisfy the public mountaineering, leisure, sports requirements; orange
> [...]

Cornie Huizenga
Convener on Transport and Climate Change
Vice-Chair, Board of Trustees
CAI-Asia Center
www://cleanairnet.org/caiasia
cornie.huizenga at cai-asia.org