[sustran] Re: Time to change our graphs? Vehicle sales in Japan 2008/2009

Jerry Schneider jbs at u.washington.edu
Wed Dec 24 07:26:25 JST 2008

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008, Carlosfelipe Pardo wrote:

> Cornie and all,
>
> Though not Asian, it may be relevant: In Colombia, car sales have been in
> their 2 best years 2007 (250 thousand units sold) and 2008 (approx 220
> thousand units sold). 2009 is expected to be lower, around 180 thousand.
> So it was an emerging industry that will now "de-emerge"...
>
> These news, along with the recent news from Toyota of their first yearly
> loss in 71 years and the big 3's "bailout" (which may just be a big
> expenditure in a dying sector, like trying to resucitate the typewriter
> industry in the beginning of the computer age), may mean that we're at
> the end of something... or at the beginning of something else? However,
> we were thinking the same with oil barrels at USD 140+, and now they're
> "stabilising".
>
> Any ideas on what may the "something else" may be? It was easier before,
> because we could say it was "The Age of the _____" and fill in the blank
> with a vehicle. What should we say now? A fuel, or a specific mode... or
> plain nothing? Maybe nothing is good.

There are more than 100 possibilities for the "something else" lable
at http://faculty.washington.edu/jbs/itrans/techtable.htm - all require
"thinking beyond the car". See any that you like?
you like?

- Jerry Schneider, Prof. Emeritus
    - Innovative Transportation Technologies website:
      http://faculty.washington.edu/jbs/itrans