[sustran] 2009: The Year of the Woman in Transportation

Eric Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Sun Dec 21 00:56:48 JST 2008

Dear Friends,

My contribution to the current National Journal's "insider panel", whose
goal it is to provide expert  counsel to orient and guide the incoming Obama
administration on matters involving policy and investments in the
transportation sector for the years immediately ahead, is now on line. You
can find the full text at
http://transportation.nationaljournal.com/2008/12/how-should-infrastructure-
stimulus-be-spent.php#1201951.

I might mention one point the article make. Specifically my proposition that
what is needed to create an altogether different perspective on these
matters is not just to bring a couple of females on board, but to create a
very strong plurality.

It's rather like cycling in cities I would say. If there are no cyclists out
there, no one sees a problem. If there are a few, it really changes little
if anything. But when the cyclists start hit the street in real numbers,
when they begin to populate the environment, things then have an entirely
different momentum. And so, I believe, is the case with the impact of women
in these largely male-culture fora. Once we get beyond that tipping point -
what is it, 50%, 40, 30 ?? --  we find a very different situation as
emerged.  And so I hope it will be.

But there is an anomaly there, one that you can if you wish help us with.
In my piece I claim that as a first step this panel should immediately set
out to create a far more balanced gender composition than that which they
have at present, which is very male top heavy.

However as I look at the composition of most of our new mobility fora what
strikes me immediately is that we are hardly better.  We are female-lite
here, and the only way I can think of to rectify this imbalance will be to
ask each person here to reach out to find a female colleague, policy maker,
activist or concerned citizen whom we can then invite to join us and get on
the side of new mobility for all.    I am sure it will make a big
difference.

Thanks for helping out on this. You'll see. It will be worth it.

Eric Britton

                         The New Mobility Agenda

 cid:image001.jpg at 01C95F73.E1ECA570

                   Technology transforms time and space

                                                . . . and our minds

The New Mobility Agenda - http://www.invent.newmobility.org

      Europe:   8/10 rue Joseph Bara,     75006 Paris,  France

      T:  +331 4326 1323  or  +339 7044 4179   Skype: ericbritton

New Mobility Partnerships  - http://partners.newmobility.org

      USA:      9440 Readcrest Drive   Los Angeles, CA  90210

      T:  +1 310 601-8468    Skype : newmobility