[sustran] Re: Better Place sustainable transportation and business model

Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory edelman at greenidea.eu
Sat Dec 13 15:02:13 JST 2008

Carlos,

Creating a sustainable mobility plan requires cooperation of all actors
-- and having them plan or finance it beyond their share in it just
gives them the opportunity to greenwash their contribution.

But I am not naive and realise that the most important part of my
proposal - proposing this solution only for carshare - will not be
accepted on their part. Their vision is based on sales to individuals in
cities. The private urban car industry is inherently and fundamentally
unsustainable. Does anyone disagree?

In the medium- to long-term I would argue that only carfree cities,
rather than simply carshare cities or carfree neighbourhoods, are
sustainable. Any car still takes up too much space and even if tamed in
regards to safety and emissions still creates too much road chaos. But
key is that a lot of the tasks assigned to carshare cars such as "big
shopping" or carrying big things across town, etc can eventually be
solved by de-centralisation and localisation and also by automated urban
cargo networks.  I left the carfree part out of my letter from the
"People of Earth" because it seems to go a little beyond the New
Mobility agenda and the scope of these lists.

- T