[sustran] RTC Seeks Active Transportation Projects- Funding and Training Opportunities!

Eric Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Fri Dec 12 17:11:13 JST 2008

Quick <>  Timeline Funding

Training <>  Opportunities

RTC Seeks Active Transportation Projects

Submissions Due Monday, 12/15/08 - 12:00pm ET

In Alta's October
<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1030397802&msgid=4102740&act=QJAM
&c=748&admin=0&destination=http%3A%2F%2Faltaplanning.com%2Fenewsletter.aspx%
23article2>  eNewsletter we told you about RTC's Campaign for Active
Transportation. Here's an update from RTC and a new goal for project
submissions:

Thank you for the strong response to our October
<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1030397802&msgid=4102740&act=QJAM
&c=748&admin=0&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fsupport.railstotrails.org%2Fsite%2FR
%3Fi%3D527WJaa-OEwYENafNHz6AA..>  call for ready-to-go bicycle or pedestrian
projects for possible inclusion in the federal economic recovery package.
With our national partners, we collected hundreds of projects that total
$1.2 billion. Parameters have since expanded, and we are again seeking
active transportation project submissions
<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1030397802&msgid=4102740&act=QJAM
&c=748&admin=0&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fsupport.railstotrails.org%2Fsite%2FR
%3Fi%3D2HfSqY1pwsbwggSxqmYcEQ..> .

The recovery package will likely be $700 billion or more, aiming to create
and maintain 2.5 million jobs over the next two years. This framing is
significantly different than previous estimates of $300 billion over a few
months-hence our renewed call for projects.

Please submit projects to Rails-to-Trails Conservancy (RTC) by visiting our
online submission page
<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1030397802&msgid=4102740&act=QJAM
&c=748&admin=0&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fsupport.railstotrails.org%2Fsite%2FR
%3Fi%3DpGA6JiML0BgYdCkwYqHrjQ..> :

<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1030397802&msgid=4102740&act=QJAM
&c=748&admin=0&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fsupport.railstotrails.org%2Fsite%2FR
%3Fi%3D6WlfzRRCLynLgKRBuWqCVA..>
http://support.railstotrails.org/submissions

Guidelines:

1.	Projects should be at least $100,000;
2.	RTC must receive submissions by Dec. 15 at noon, eastern time;
3.	There is no need to resubmit projects already proposed; and
4.	Projects should be able to be completed between four months and two
years.

Political Background:

Congress is considering multiple scenarios for how to distribute the
infrastructure funds in this economic recovery package (expected to pass in
late January). The House approach simply passes all the money to state
Departments of Transportation (DOTs). This course of action will not yield
optimal results for active transportation. We face the threat of being left
out by funding priorities that follow the mistakes of the past half-century.
Your submissions help us make the case with congressional leaders that
active transportation projects are in high demand and deserve to be a
priority.

Thank you.

Rails-to-Trails Conservancy

P.S. You can help in another way. RTC is currently running an online
petition
<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1030397802&msgid=4102740&act=QJAM
&c=748&admin=0&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fsupport.railstotrails.org%2Fsite%2FR
%3Fi%3DXdSxcguAsl9QmgV_20QjOA..>  encouraging Congress to specifically fund
active transportation projects in the recovery package. We have one week
left to hit our target of 10,000 signatures, and we are very close! Please
use all applicable lists or newsletters to encourage others to sign the
petition-after doing so yourself! You can find the petition online at:

<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1030397802&msgid=4102740&act=QJAM
&c=748&admin=0&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fsupport.railstotrails.org%2Fsite%2FR
%3Fi%3DFw1dTm0lR0QMs7QcsCgj_A..> http://support.railstotrails.org/recovery

  _____

SmartTrips Webinar

Please join us on December 17th for Jessica Roberts' virtual presentation
"Bring SmartTrips Home," hosted by the Association of Pedestrian and Bicycle
Professionals (APBP). SmartTrips is a great program model that can reduce
drive-alone trips by 10% at a cost of about $20 per household.

SmartTrips programs use individualized marketing to change trip behavior by
offering information and support for shifting some car trips to walking,
bicycling and transit trips. Webinar participants will learn about
evaluating their communities, resources to find out if SmartTrips is the
right approach, which materials, maps and incentives are most effective and
why, how to find the right tone and message, evaluation instruments, and how
to modify Portland's program for other locales. Webinar presenters are Linda
Ginenthal, who oversees Portland's SmartTrips program from her post as
manager of the Transportation Options Division at Portland DOT, and Jessica
Roberts, Alta Planning + Design, who is working to implement SmartTrips for
NTPP communities.

More information:
APBP webinar "Bring SmartTrips Home"
Wednesday, December 17, 3:00 - 4:00 p.m. ET
Register for webinars at http://www.bikewalk.org/webinar.php
<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1030397802&msgid=4102740&act=QJAM
&c=748&admin=0&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bikewalk.org%2Fwebinar.php> .
Cost is $50 per site for APBP members; $60 per site for non-APBP members.
You can arrange payment with Deb Goeks at the APBP office at (262) 228-7025,
or e-mail her at deb at apbp.org.

  _____

Cycle Zones Webinar

On January 21st Mia Birk will join Portland Bicycle Coordinator Roger Geller
for "Cycle Zone Analysis (CZA), A New Bicycle Transportation Planning Tool,"
discussing how this tool helps Portland planners more accurately assess and
improve cycling conditions.

The Cycle Zones Analysis webinar looks at a tool used by planners in
Portland (Ore.) as they moved away from that city's eight traditional
planning areas - defined largely by political boundaries - and instead
divided the city into 32 "cycle zones" which describe distinct
micro-environments for bicycling. Participants will learn how to define
cycle zones, develop a bikeway rating index, and use the resulting analysis
to improve cycling conditions. Geller and Birk will discuss adapting the
Cycle Zone Analysis tool to other locales, and what would be required to
implement this planning tool in your community.

More information:
APBP webinar "Cycle Zone Analysis (CZA), A New Bicycle Transportation
Planning Tool"
Wednesday, January 21, 3:00 - 4:00 p.m. ET
Register for webinars at http://www.bikewalk.org/webinar.php
<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1030397802&msgid=4102740&act=QJAM
&c=748&admin=0&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bikewalk.org%2Fwebinar.php> .
Cost is $50 per site for APBP members; $60 per site for non-APBP members.
You can arrange payment with Deb Goeks at the APBP office at (262) 228-7025,
or e-mail her at deb at apbp.org.

About Alta
    Founded in 1996 and specializing in transportation, recreation, and
innovation including bicycle, pedestrian and trail projects, Alta Planning +
Design is now the leading firm of its kind in the United States. Our staff
includes over 40 planners, engineers, and landscape architects in five
states providing a wide array of services. We specialize in:

Rails-With-Trails
Trail Planning
Trail Design
Engineering
Traffic Calming

Bicycle Master Plans
Pedestrian Master Plans
Trail Master Plans
Environmental Documentation
Geographic Information Systems (GIS)

Sign Plans
Safe Routes to School
Bicycle Maps
Bike Facilities
Transit Access

<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1030397802&msgid=4102740&act=QJAM
&c=748&admin=0&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.altaplanning.com>
www.altaplanning.com  ~  toll free (877) 347-5417  ~
<mailto:info at altaplanning.com> info at altaplanning.com
California  | Pacific Northwest  | East Coast  | Western States  | Midwest

This message was sent from Alta Planning + Design to
eric.britton at ecoplan.org. It was sent from: Alta Planning + Design, 1638 NE
Davis Street, Portland, OR 97232. You can modify/update your subscription
via the link below.

 <http://www.icontact.com/a.pl/144186> Image removed by sender. Email
Marketing Software

Image removed by sender.