[sustran] New Mobility Media 2008 + Knoogle + The year ahead

Eric Britton eric.britton at newmobility.org
Fri Dec 12 03:17:32 JST 2008

Dear Colleagues,

The purpose of this holiday mailing is to share with you a small handful  things
that I very much hope you will find interesting and possibly even useful.  Quickly
now:

1.  New Mobility Media 2008: Over the last several years we have been increasingly
engaged in working with expanding group of international partners to create
engaging new media in order to advance the sustainable transportation agenda
worldwide.  The attached PDF file presents some of the latest films, videos
and clips in this collaborative series, together with one-click links which
allow you to go directly to each.  (If you would prefer to pick up the full
PowerPoint version, you will find that at www.media-presentation.newmobility.org
)

2.  New mobility knowledge environment:With all of the conferences and discussions
that are going on these days, one of the things that strikes us most is that,
although there are many programs and organizations concerned with the issues
of sustainable transportation in the broader climate, resource and economic
environments within which they are placed, (a) we are still in most dramatically
losing this war on virtually all fronts and (b) the level of creative synergy
between all of these programs is impaired by the fact that they are, as the
expression goes, overly "siloed".  This is not to argue for centralization
or "rationalization" with the thought of removing redundancies, since in fact
what may appear to be redundancies are in fact a signal of the richness of
the work that is going on to remedy the problems we are addressing.  Redundancy
is in any event a necessary condition of robustness.  And we very much need
robust solutions and processes.  With this challenge in mind we set out early
last summer under the framework of an informal brainstorming effort which we
called the "New Mobility Knowledge Environment" to see if we could get some
kind of useful handle on the problem of excessive fragmentation of effort and
insufficient interaction, exchange and co-learning.

3.  Knoogle New Mobility 1.1. :The only specific advance that we have made
thus far has been in a collaborative project undertaken with the help of a
small team at theCenter for Advancing Research and Solutions for Society of
University of Michigan, which is aimed at creating a handy tool which will
allow researchers, policymakers and others concerned to reach across some of
the thick walls that separate many of these programs and projects.  The tool
is called Knoogle New Mobility 1.1.  It is still in beta form but a number
of us are finding it useful for following developments in the field.  I would
like to invite you to have a look and should you find it useful to put it to
work for your own purposes.  The URL is www.Knoogle.net.

4.  The year ahead: there is no doubt in my mind, and I am sure yours, that
2009 is going to be a very important year for new thinking around the world,
and certainly I very much hope in the United States.  I would almost say that
this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.  So this is the time to make sure
that everything we have done over these last years to create both a vision
and the tools needed to move toward a more sustainable future for the planet,
the people who live on it, for cities, and for our transportation systems,
takes a strong, I would hope a leading role in debate and in the actions to
follow.

As a contribution from here, in early January we shall be sending you the 2009
State of the Commons Message, which as in last year's is largely devoted to
outlining progress and intended future work in collaboration for the year ahead.
I very much hope you will keep us informed of your projects and programs for
the new year, and if you have any thoughts about possible collaboration or
exchange, I want you to know that these will be warmly received here.

It is time to act.

Eric Britton

                 The New Mobility Agenda

                Technology transforms time and space

                                             . . . and our minds

  New Mobility Partnerships  – http://www.newmobility.org

      Europe:   8/10 rue Joseph Bara,     75006 Paris,  France

        T:  +331 4326 1323  or  +339 7044 4179   Skype: ericbritton

      USA:      9440 Readcrest Drive   Los Angeles, CA  90210

        T:  +1 310 601-8468    Skype: newmobility