[sustran] Re: The future of "xTransit"

Puchalsky, Chris cpuchalsky at dvrpc.org
Thu Aug 28 22:47:09 JST 2008

Eric,

I am somewhat wary of a few of your points and implications below.

Fast Implementation Time - Yes, we should be worried about implementation time and we also need to act decisively to confront numerous problems that are aggravated or caused by our auto-dependant, petroleum based economy.  However, the sky is not falling and the world is not going to end tomorrow.  We shouldn't kid ourselves about the timeframe needed to transition to a much more sustainable transport system - 20 - 30 years at best.  Progressively minded transport professionals (engineers, planners, economists, etc.) are asking for some pretty big changes from society.  I think we have a professional duty to offer solutions that are thoroughly thought out and tested.  There is certainly room for brainstorming and brave new ideas, but those must be tempered by realism before being put forth as "the answer."  The problems that the transport and urban planning professions face in the next generation are big enough that they warrant taking the time to get them right.

It seems that your reference to "high cost old mobility technology" is an oblique dig at fixed route transit systems, particularly rail transit.  I find the epithet "old" to be unhelpful in the discussion of how to tackle mobility problems.  The original age of a technology has no bearing on its usefulness or relevance.  The alphabet is thousands of years old yet has never been more prolific as a technology.  It is continually augmented and improved by new technological advances, just as is rail transit.

In the 1970 both para-transit and light rail were new, promising technologies for solving transport problems.  The bold promises of the former were largely unmet, while the latter has had a 30+ year track record of providing sustainable mobility while also encouraging the types of land uses that reduce auto use and encourage non-motorized modes.  Both para-transit and rail transit will be enhanced in the coming decade by the application of advanced IT and other technologies.   But lets not throw out what we know to work reasonably well in our excitement for a possible "nirvana" solution.  A sustainable transport system in the future will likely be a combination of transit (rail and rubber-tired), para-transit, non-motorized modes, and even measured auto use.

Christopher M. Puchalsky, Ph.D.
Senior Transportation Engineer
Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission
190 N. Independence Mall West
Philadelphia, PA 19106-1520
P: 215.238.2949
F: 215.592.9125