[sustran] [NewMobilityCafe] Walking 100/Pedestrian Fundamentals - Unlearning unnecessary mobility

Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory edelman at greenidea.eu
Sat Aug 23 19:44:56 JST 2008

In my first photography course at university, the first lesson involved
going around blindfolded, taking shots mostly randomly but also based on
sounds, any light which came through the blindfold, smells, etc. The
goal was to unlearn what we thought a photo had to look like and how it
should be framed.

Similarly - and in reference to recent discussions on these fora about
throughput as a main goal and bad pedestrian access (!) to bus stations
- I would love it if all new transport and urban planning students had
to spend the first semester only designing for walking, i.e. with
walking as the only mobility solution they can use. Then once they learn
or master the basics , i.e. THE basic,  they can... move on to cycling,
motorised PT, etc.

Rectors, deans and department heads, are you listening?

Todd Edelman(n)
Green Idea Factory

Urbanstr. 45
D-10967 Berlin
Germany

Skype: toddedelman
German mobile: ++49 0162 814 4081
Czech mobile: ++420 605 915 970

edelman at greenidea.eu
www.greenidea.eu
www.flickr.com/photos/edelman

Green Idea Factory is a member of World Carfree Network
www.worldcarfree.net

CAR is over. If you WANT it.