[sustran] Re: Right to Walk and Pollution in Hyd: Interesting read

Kanthi Kannan kanthikannan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 11:07:14 JST 2008

http://www.epa.gov/ies/pdf/india/iesfinal_0405.pdf

The study in the link given above is a well documented effort by a US agency
and an Indian agency about the various facets of pollution control.
Throughout the Study one of the major pollution reduction strategies
suggested is Separation of Vulnerable Road Users (Provision of Footpath).
I quote: "The intermixing of vehicles and pedestrian movements in the
absence of footpaths results in reduced speeds and increase in number of
accidents. The provision of footpaths and pedestrian crossings and can
reduce these conflicts to a great extent and increase the average speed."
The statistics given in support of the suggestion is interesting to check.

In Hyderabad, the Right to Walk Foundation is trying to check with the
Andhra Pradesh Pollution Control Board (APPCB) as to whether any of these
recommendations have been adopted?

Needless to say that widened roads are replacing the existing footpaths
because the authorities feel that widened roads are the solution for all
traffic problems.

We definitely need to take a few short term measures and a few long term
strategies so that our city does not have the tag of the most polluted metro
in the country.

Kanthi Kannan

The Right to Walk Foundation

www.right2walk.com