[sustran] "Sustainable transport reform in cities - Knowledge Building and International Collaboration in a situation of high emergency"

Eric Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Fri Aug 1 15:50:06 JST 2008

Dear Friends,

Susan Zielinski, in the framework of a recent brainstorming conference
organized by the SMART program (Sustainable Mobility & Accessibility
Research & Transformation -
http://um-smart.org/resources/conference/overview.html)  of the University
of Michigan, asked me to report to the group on my experience and thoughts
on the issue of "New Mobility - Knowledge Building and International
Collaboration in a situation of high emergency". Hmm.

Well, I took as my starting place a look through our various programs and
communications over the years and came up with the following first-cut list
of groups and website that we consult frequently in our own work. (You can
access the full presentation in a largish PPT file freely available to you
at http://www.ecoplan.org/library/newmob-networks.pdf )

A couple of points about this listing: (a) It is missing some important
sources, which perhaps you can bring them to our attention. And of course
(b) it reflects our particular angle on sustainable transport reform in
cities: heavy emphasis on the on-going climate catastrophe and the need for
immediate, far-reaching remedial measure and reforms. And if the energy and
resource issues are right up there at the top of our concerns, along with
those of the huge inefficiencies of our transportation arrangements in most
cities, there is also our constant preoccupation with social equity as one
of the vital underpinnings of all programs and initiatives that we now need
to launch without further hesitation. (If it ain't just, it won't be
sustainable).

Anyway, here is the list concerning which I would be most pleased to have
your comments and suggestions. These I will shortly make available to our
various networks and collaborators so that we can all get back to work with
even more energy and determination on these issues. It helps greatly that we
are not alone.

Eric Britton

1.	New Mobility Agenda
2.	C40 - Large Cities Climate Leadership Group
3.	Clean Air Initiative (CAI)
4.	Climate Alliance of European Cities
5.	Clinton Climate Initiative
6.	ELTIS - European Local Transport Information Service
7.	T&E - European Federation for Transport & Environment
8.	Global Alliance for EcoMobility
9.	global Transport Knowledge Partnership
10.	Embarq - Center for Sustainable Transport
11.	iNSnet Foundation
12.	International Transport Forum
13.	Institute for Transportation &Development Policy
14.	Livable Streets Network
15.	Sustainable Cities Net
16.	Sustainable Urban Transport Project
17.	Victoria Transport Policy Institute
18.	World Business Council for Sustainable Development
19.	World Carshare Consortium
20.	World City Bike Collaborative