[sustran] Re: Ultra Low Floor Tram v/s BRTS

Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory edelman at greenidea.eu
Mon Apr 28 22:40:17 JST 2008

Hi all,

Trams and light-rail:

Negatives:
* Much higher than BRT implementation cost per vehicle and for
infrastructure
* Less flexible than BRT (but more flexible than it used to be, as they
can have onboard energy for short distances, plus much better with
bicycle feeders/eaters)
* Overhead lines can be unsightly (there are alternatives but they are
costly)

Positives:
* Lower operating cost than BRT (less energy, fewer drivers). Energy
from braking can go back into overhead lines (hybrid buses can do
similar or course)  OR can someone prove otherwise?
* Flexible source of energy (whatever fires up a power plant. Hopefully
not coal, of course, but I have been told that an  electrical truck in
London powered by coal still creates less emissions than a newer Diesel
truck. For example, biogas is much more efficient for transport
converted into electricity, than it is if carried on a vehicle. Diesel
and natural gas prices will be going up, up, up...)
* Trams can last 40 years with a mid-life rebuild
* Prettier than buses, and more interesting looking, and "higher class"
than buses, even the nicest ones
* Rubber-tyred versions available (for steep gradients)
* Can be quieter than buses
* Once implemented, very hard to remove (politically and technically)

- T

Todd Edelman
Director
Green Idea Factory

Korunni 72
CZ-10100 Praha 10
Czech Republic

Skype: toddedelman
++420 605 915 970
++420 222 517 832

edelman at greenidea.eu
http://greenideafactory.blogspot.com/
www.flickr.com/photos/edelman

Green Idea Factory is a member of World Carfree Network
www.worldcarfree.net

CAR is over. If you WANT it.