[sustran] Re: Planning for accessibility in Indian cities ...

Madhav Badami, Prof. madhav.g.badami at mcgill.ca
Mon Apr 28 22:16:34 JST 2008

Hello Sudhir, and greetings all,

Inspired by your earlier Sustran posting in March on the sorry state (and utter disregard) of pedestrian infrastructure in Bangalore, and by my own harrowing experience as a pedestrian in that and other Indian
cities, I wrote an article titled "Urban Transport: Accesibility for All
is the Way Forward", which the Times of India carried in their Bangalore
edition on April 1 (I was pleasantly surprised that they did, given their strong car-highway-metro bias). I posted a message on Sustran last week with the Times of India piece attached. But because the file size was large (the article included a photo I took of pedestrians stuck in the middle of traffic on
Bannerghatta Road, off of which I was staying in Bangalore), it was not sent out to the Sustran mailing list. Luckily, I have discovered that my article (without the photo) has been featured by the Urban Study Group. The web link is below:

http://mail.sarai.net/pipermail/urbanstudygroup/2008-April/003058.html <https://exchange.mcgill.ca/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://mail.sarai.net/pipermail/urbanstudygroup/2008-April/003058.html>

Comments are welcome.

While I was in India, I also hammered home the importance of pedestrian accessibility in a
presentation I made to the recently constituted Bangalore Metropolitan
Land Transport Authority (BMLTA), and in a public event on urban
transport in Chennai. I guess what we need is for lots of us to
persistently make our case (in the media and other forums), and hope for
the best.

Madhav

"As for the future, your task is not to foresee, but to enable it."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Madhav G. Badami, PhD
School of Urban Planning and McGill School of Environment
McGill University
Macdonald-Harrington Building
815 Sherbrooke Street West
Montreal, QC, H3A 2K6, Canada

Phone: 514-398-3183 (Work); 514-486-2370 (Home)
Fax: 514-398-8376; 514-398-1643
URLs: www.mcgill.ca/urbanplanning
www.mcgill.ca/mse