[sustran] Ultra Low Floor Tram v/s BRTS

Anupam Gupta anupam9gupta at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 21:33:36 JST 2008

Hi Everyone - I've just received the mail below on a Metro Mailing Group.
Since I'm not an expert in these matters, I thought I'd ask the group here
if they had any idea on the merits of a "Hi-Tech Ultra Low Floor Tram" over
the BRTS. Thanks very much for your time.

****Mail starts****

Just a reminder to all the readers, the BRT as a concept has already
being implemented in Pune City. It was the first BRT corridor in
India and its sucessfully running in 2 corridors namely Katraj-
Swargate and Hadapsar- Swargate, with 6 more corridors being planned
and under design.

There were indeed few snags even in Pune, but yet the project went
ahed and currently stands as in "running" condition.

On second thgoughts, a Ultra low floor Tram can be implemented
instead of a BRT. in the same BRT corridor, its both cheaper than a
Metro rail and monorail, as well as better blended in road trafic
than normal rail and metro transport. Several cities and towns in
Europe and Asia sucessfully run Hi-Tech Ultra lowfloor Trams.

Infact a few of "sucesfull" BRT corridors over a period of time
ultmately have infact moved either to Light Rail Systems or Ultra Low
Floor Trams.

The closeness of the low floor tram to the rail track and road
surface as well as the usage of a overhead pentograph instead of a
third rail as in a Metro rail makes is more suitable to blend easily
in city trafic along other modes of road transport.

Moreover one Low floor tram can infact take the load of 4 busses in
a single go.

My sugesstion is to implement the HiTech Low Floor Trams in all
existing BRT corridors as the concept of BRT as unimpelmentable in
dense traffic locations like in India.

****Mail ends****

Regards,

Anupam Gupta