[sustran] Re: BRTS in Delhi

Carlosfelipe Pardo carlos.pardo at sutp.org
Sun Apr 27 21:39:43 JST 2008

Sorry, when mentioning "mine is bigger than yours", I think what Sujit
means is that, while governments are trying to show off their toys
between themselves ("I have a nicer train", "I have a taller building"),
they are spending money that may not even be there (e.g. going into
debt) while many other needs aren't satisfied (food, health, education),
which would have been covered if the toy wouldn't have been bought,
subsidized, nationalized, etc. This happens many times with rail
systems, while other systems are cheaper and have similar capacity (if
properly planned), but are not as "big",  "shiny", "cool", "modern" or
whatever adjective that can be attributed to a system that tends to
resemble "modernity", possibly using the same definition from a 1900
textbook on city development.

Also related: citizens are too immature many times: If they don't see
things in their cities, they think nothing has been done. If a mayor
redevelops the finances or improves education and reduces corruption
while increasing voluntary tax contributions, citizens don't think that
mayor was so good as one that will buy a big toy (and leave them to pay
for it during 25 years or so). This perpetuates the "bigger toys"
phenomenon, and the rest is pure orthodox and classic psychoanalysis.
Now, give a couch to your mayor, please. I can assist in their therapy.

Carlos.