[sustran] Re: Delhi's BRT project in trouble?

Sujit Patwardhan sujitjp at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 22:06:18 JST 2008

For the last month of more, the media led by Times of India Delhi Edition
(other papers have also been critical) have been conducting an anti-BRT
campaign. Most of the criticism is about the traffic indiscipline and not
about BRT per se but readers (not experts on BRT) get confused. My responses
defending the BRT sent to the editor have been ignored and not published.

I feel this is largely on account of the fact that Delhi administration and
promoters of BRT have not taken up a major Public Awareness drive. Pune the
city that inaugurated an incomplete BRT for political reasons, has been
suffering similarly. However, BRT commuters have been praising the system
and saying it should be implemented on many more corridors. It may be a good
strategy to do a study of commuters to see their reactions and the real
benefits they received from the BRT system. In Pune the commuters have been
supportive and that has helped the city to see the picture in a larger
framework, though much needs to be done.

As for Ahmedabad, they are building a closed system. That certainly looks
more attractive but needs feeder buses and frequent changes. It may not be
the best system for India I fear.

Anyway we hope Delhi BRT starts showing some positive improvement. There is
a positive editorial in Business Standard today which I will forward to you.

With warm regards,
--
Sujit

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 2:21 PM, Paul Barter <paulbarter at nus.edu.sg> wrote:

> Will Delhi's BRT be given a chance to prove itself?
>
> Bad press and teething problems seem to be putting Delhi's ambitious BRT
> plans in danger.
>
> Delhi's BRT pilot phase has entered a trial period since Sunday. The
> first 5.6 km is due to start formally on 1 May.
>
> Unfortunately press coverage of the project continues to be extremely
> hostile. Reading some of the articles on this in the Indian media one
> could be forgiven for thinking that Delhi's entire congestion problem is
> caused by 5.6 km of busway.
>
> All this looks worrying for Delhi's BRT. If politicians cave in and
> abandon the project now it would be a huge setback for public transport
> in India.
>
> Read more of this article at http://reinventingtransport.blogspot.com/
> -----------------------------------
>
> I am sure some of you know more about Delhi's BRT than I do.
>
> Can it be rescued? Will the teething problems settle down before the
> politicians lose their backbone to support it? Was it a mistake to begin
> with such a challenging corridor? Will this episode give BRT a bad name
> in India as a whole and threaten even the Ahmedabad project, even though
> that project is for a much higher-end BRT system?

> join the real sustran-discuss and get full membership rights. The
> yahoogroups version is only a mirror and 'members' there cannot post to the
> real sustran-discuss (even if the yahoogroups site makes it seem like you
> can). Apologies for the confusing arrangement.

> (the 'Global South').

Sujit Patwardhan
sujitjp at gmail.com

"Yamuna",