[sustran] Bus purchase help needed

Jonathan Richmond richmond at alum.mit.edu
Wed Apr 16 18:19:54 JST 2008

Sorry to bother the more academic members of these lists, but I have been
grateful for some wonderfully helpful suggestions when posing previous
practical questions here -- so, here goes again!

I need some help over bus purchases. The bus fleet here in Mauritius is of
very low quality: almost entirely with high floors, many steps to climb,
only one door -- slowing down entry and exit -- and no aircon.

We are looking at ways to replace the total public and private sector
fleets of 2500 buses and are planning to do an initial procurement
exercise for the public bus company, National Transport Corporation,
ordering perhaps one hundred buses.

We do not have the necessary expertise in writing the tender documents or
supervising the tender process. We are therefore using a fast-track tender
process to invite proposals to help us with this.

The requirements are:

 	Conduct a brief analysis of operating requirements of Mauritius bus
 	operators and bus specifications required by the regulatory system

 	Design a technical specification for low-floor, airconditioned buses that
 	includes bus body specification, air con specification and passenger
 	safety.

 	Finalize tender documents for procurement exercise.

 	Provide a detailed study on the proposals submitted from each tenderer,
 	with recommendations.

 	Maintain contuct with tender winner to ensure prototype bus meeds agreed
 	specifications.

 	Conduct acceptance test before serial production.

 	Develop maintenance regimes and design and deliver maintenane handbook.

 	Develop and implement essential training programs on maintenance.

The budget limit for fast-track tendering is 5 million Maurituan rs.
(US $193,800). All costs, inclusing cost of travel must be included in a
proposal that is no more than this amount.

If any of you are qualified and interested to do this, please do get in
touch. Also, if you know others who might be interested, please pass this
on to them.

Many thanks!!!

                          --Jonathan!

-----
Jonathan Richmond
Transport Adviser to the Government of Mauritius
Ministry of Public Infrastructure, Land Transport and Shipping
New Government Centre, Level 4
Port Louis
Mauritius

+230 707-1134 (Mauritius mobile: most reliable way to reach me)

+1 (617) 395-4360 (US phone number rings at home -- call me in
Mauritius for the price of a call to the US).

+44 (0)7978 807532 (UK mobile number, connects to mobile phone when in
wifi zone, or goes to voice mail). This is also a SIP number. If you
have a SIP phone you can reach me by dialing: sip:447978807532 at truphone.com

e-mail: richmond at alum.mit.edu
http://the-tech.mit.edu/~richmond/