[sustran] Re: [carfree_network] Carfree Menu for Sustainability: Beijing / Park(ing) / London / Prague

Jennifer Ashley voodikon at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 24 21:47:46 JST 2007

I can attest to the apparent lack of adherence to No Car Day in Chengdu, which Shanghai-based Bloomberg.com reporter Irena Shen confirmed to me, was supposed to be one of the 108 Chinese cities participating. I had a bike ride down a main road on the afternoon of the 22nd and observed no noticeable decrease in traffic; when I looked out the office window at a quarter past 6 in the evening, the streets were clogged as usual with vehicles of every sort. What the hell is that, I wonder. Why tout it if nobody's going to do it?

"Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory" <edelman at greenidea.info> wrote: First, the bitter appetizer:

The BBC's James Reynolds in Beijing says that cars are coming and going
as normal, and most streets in Beijing are not adhering to No Car Day.

***

Next, the savoury main course (already introduced by Markus Heller
earlier in the week to people on WCN list):

Conceived by REBAR, a San Francisco-based art collective, PARK(ing) Day
is a one-day, global event centred in San Francisco where artists,
activists and citizens collaborate to temporarily transform parking
spots into "PARK(ing)" spaces: temporary public parks.

main page:

here are some participant-generated Flickr pages about what happened on
Friday:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sfbike/sets/72157602112627733/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/parkingday/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paytonc/sets/72157602107303944/

 >From WCN member Time's Up:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/txup/sets/72157602110941213/

****

Dessert:

Cyclists enjoy car ban in London

Traffic has been banned from several roads in central London for the day to make way for thousands of cyclists taking part in a mass bike ride.
More than 30,000 people will ride along a 14km (8.7 mile) car-free route past iconic landmarks in the city.

****

Extra helping of dessert:

Finally, the Prague Critical Mass "Big Autumn Ride" reportedly had  about 1500 participants (including lots of children), plus five dogs, the biggest ever!

- T

******

Todd Edelman
Director
Green Idea Factory

Korunn 72
CZ-10100 Praha 10
Czech Republic

Skype: toddedelman
++420 605 915 970
++420 222 517 832

edelman at greenidea.eu
http://greenideafactory.blogspot.com/
www.flickr.com/photos/edelman

Green Idea Factory is a member of World Carfree Network
www.worldcarfree.net