[sustran] Reinventing Transport in Cities: Pillar 1- Public transport should be free

eric.britton at free.fr eric.britton at free.fr
Mon Sep 3 18:38:33 JST 2007

Dear Brendan,

I don't want to get overly stuck on the world "free" here, a source probably
of more heat than light,. So let me just pop in a few thinking points on
this in an attempt to explore all this a bit more and perhaps more
creatively;

1.	Private cars do not "work" in most of our cities -- so the
alternative mobility model should be based on other kinds of services, and
specifically a rich range of travel options that together can provide
"better than cars" access (and economics) to all concerned.
2.	High quality service - which is what we need - is going to cost
money.
3.	Cities with mobility systems that work well have healthier local
commerce, higher real estate values and tax bases than those that do not.
4.	"Public transport" (more or less fixed route, fixed schedule
services)  should be as seamless as we can make it. This means that users
should have easy access and that barriers such as fare boxes need to be
removed.
5.	Well working transport services of all kinds require tight
information feedback loops, bringing us straight to smart cards of various
types.
6.	There are a growing number of cities around the world that are
actually delivering free transit services today.  And I am rather sure that
these are not anomalies nor guilty of soviet-style inefficiencies.  (See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-fare_public_transport for some more on
this.. A bit rough but still a useful first point of reference if needed.))
7.	The Paris Carte Orange experience is one interesting experience to
ponder (there are plenty of others but what is particularly interesting
about the Carte is that it has been around for a long time and has in many
ways shown the way). The Carte is financed through a number of revenue
streams, of which the actual traveler contribution is less than half.
8.	There are, as you and others point out, lots more poor people
depending on public transit in most places (the usual captive riders) which
certainly suggests that it would be unfair and potentially dangerous to hit
them with the full bill for transit.  And they deserve high quality
transportation.
9.	All of which suggest to me that we need to put on our thinking hats
and really give attention to new ways of financing and accessing transport.
Fortunately the present systems that we have in most places are so terribly
expensive and so grossly underperforming on just about all bases, that it is
in fact an easy model to improve on.

What I am trying to get at here is that we will do very badly if we fail to
take these points into account as we rethink our transportation arrangements
. Which we very definitely should be doing.

Best/Eric