[sustran] Reinventing Transport in Cities: Pillar 1- Public transport should be free

eric.britton at free.fr eric.britton at free.fr
Mon Sep 3 16:35:06 JST 2007

With all due respect Brendan, and I do very much appreciate those three
important points you bring up (see below), I really do believe that the time
has come in which we have to set aside just about all of our traditional
thinking and practices about how we finance and deliver transport in cities
and in the process come up with a whole new game plan.  The Chicago
experience, so very typical in many respects, makes it clear above all to me
that  we simply cannot afford to tinker any longer with the old models,
which clearly are not working by any of a thousand balanced criteria.

The emerging new model, which many of  us here are trying very hard to help
bring out from the woodwork, the so-called New Mobility Agenda, is
predicated on an entirely different set of assumptions, one of them being
that a whole dynamic range of seamless "non-own-car" services are needed,
that these can and will be provided by a much broader spectrum of players
than in the old binary mobility model, and that one of these has to be a
basic underpinning of available-to-all public services which are in effect a
"free" or at the very least a fully seamless public utility.

And yes of course I am well aware of the abuses that such free services can
lead to, and this note will not be the place to elaborate or to defend the
basic concept. I might add however that in my view at least the services
should not be altogether free, since it is important for many reasons to
have full feedback about system use and patronage trends, etc., which means
some kind of smart card, and this it seems to me to be fair and good to ask
people to pay for.

The end goal has to be to get the very great majority of private cars out of
the city, and in order to achieve that we are going to have to provide
"better than car" mobility systems. Hop-on, hop-off  transit is part of this
necessary package, an essential  foundation stone for the rest.

How to pay for it?  How to deliver it? And how do you, how do we assure the
necessary rigors of good management?  What other kinds of services are
needed to fill out the mobility spectrum, and what do we need to do to  we
get them on board?

These are the kinds of question that we should be asking ourselves. And
finding cities and city leaders who want to get involved in making this new
model of transport and society.  This has to be a teamwork undertaking

Eric Britton

PS. Some of you may wish to check out our in-process Reinventing Transport
in Cities site at www.climate.newmobility.org
<http://www.climate.newmobility.org/> . In addition to the Workpad examples,
more will appear there shortly on the on-going Chicago rethink.