[sustran] Chicago Transit Fare Hike

Sujit Patwardhan sujit at vsnl.com
Sat Sep 1 16:34:54 JST 2007

While we feel encouraged by the excellent proposals initiated by the Mayor
of New York, here is what I got from a friend about Chicago. I was under the
impression that Chicago was one of the better cities in the US in providing
transit facilities.
--
Sujit

Here is the news:-

To make up for poor revenues in recent years, the Chicago Transit
Authority's board has approved *fare hikes *and changes to services—to
include the shutting down of 39 bus routes. Bus and off-peak train fares
paid in cash will rise from $2 to $2.50. During peak hours, train fares will
become $3. The price of the one-day travel pass will increase from $5 to $6;
the seven-day pass from $20 to $23; and the 30-day pass from $75 to $84. The
changes go into effect on September 16th.

Sujit Patwardhan
sujit at vsnl.com
sujitjp at gmail.com

"Yamuna",