[sustran] Velib' costs and benefits - Note 2

Eric Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Sat Oct 13 01:18:05 JST 2007

Well Walter, 3k Euros/bike x 20,600 bikes would give us ca. Euros 60 MM.
That's maybe a number.

But I see that not  just for the bikes but for the whole investment, bikes,
stations, software, electronics, development costs, construction, buying of
services, hiring and training of labor, and more.

Bear in mind that while they took all they had done in Lyons as their
starting point, they decided to bet the house on Paris (rightfully so I
would say). And when you check out the details of the system you will
appreciate how very complex and challenging the whole operation  is.

If you asked me for my best bet today, I would say Euros 40 MM +/- 15.  But
that's only a guess.

Now that's a huge spread of course, but it would not be surprising if their
figure also included the expenses for putting up, etc. their 1600 new signs
(and see the report, they are huge . . .  , and that indeed is one of the
problems.)  But at this point, who knows?

Annual operations and management costs will run, to the best of my memory
this afternoon, about 10-15% of the original investment, covering as you may
recall some 350 full-time job equivalents (they have quite a few part-time
personnel).

And BTW, I count these mainly low skill jobs (but with pretty high social
recognition for what they are dong) as an important plus. Quite unlike most
transportation projects in the pas that have traditionally made "labor
saving" one of their main objectives.

We will learn a lot more about this in the months ahead, but the ultimate
bottom line is - I insist - the huge benefits. And this we also have to get
our arms around.

All of which points up the importance of separating the two contracts and
giving greater insights as to costs, etc.

Yes we want to golden egg. No we do not want to slaughter that perfectly
good goose. (Of course there are always those who just like killing geese,
but I hope not too many of our dear colleagues here.)

Eric Britton