[sustran] Re: Sao Paulo trolley catenary

Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory edelman at greenidea.info
Fri Oct 12 06:26:11 JST 2007

Hi,

bruun at seas.upenn.edu wrote:
> Todd:
>
> There aren't really options to overhead catenary for long routes.
RIGHT, for emission-free transport.
>  One
> can install batteries or an ICE for use for short distances.
I AM sorry, what's ICE? Batteries and ultracapacitors are having some
success as far as I understand.... in order to eliminate overhead lines
in small historical areas.
> Concepts
> involving ground pickup aren't proven reliable yet, especially in snow.

RIGHT
> As far as the visual blight from trolley catenary goes, it is minimal.

IN Prague the visual blight from caternary for trams gets pretty intense
sometimes... but at least it has a useful purpose unlike some other
blights.
> There can sometimes be some clutter at an intersection where lines
> cross and turns are made. There is also a good side to the visibility
> of catenary -- it adds a sense of permanence just like rails, and it
> also indicates which roads have frequent service.

Seriously, things are getting more flexible (batteries, ultracaps,
hybrid systems with diesel or especially gas generator sets) and I think
prices will go down and quality will go up. Batteries might start to
become standard in trams - some trolley buses have small engines to get
through electrified areas - which will be a benefit for aesthetic
reasons and also give maintenance people more flexibility to repair
overhead lines in the middle of the day, etc.

Thanks,