[sustran] Re: Sao Paulo trolley catenary

bruun at seas.upenn.edu bruun at seas.upenn.edu
Fri Oct 12 06:12:05 JST 2007

Todd:

There aren't really options to overhead catenary for long routes. One
can install batteries or an ICE for use for short distances. Concepts
involving ground pickup aren't proven reliable yet, especially in snow.

As far as the visual blight from trolley catenary goes, it is minimal.
There can sometimes be some clutter at an intersection where lines
cross and turns are made. There is also a good side to the visibility
of catenary -- it adds a sense of permanence just like rails, and it
also indicates which roads have frequent service.

Eric Bruun