[sustran] Re: Sao Paulo bans outdoor advertising

Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory edelman at greenidea.info
Fri Oct 12 05:14:57 JST 2007

Hi Walter,

Walter Hook wrote:
> It has been a largely popular move in sao paulo, though i personally feel it
> is another example of what frequently happens in politics where instead of
> setting up some optimal and sensible regulatory structure the govt goes from
> one extreme of no regulation to another ezxtreme.
CAN you please tell me how a place free of advertising is "extreme"?

>  same mayor may pull down
> trolleybus wires because of visual pollution but with less savory impacts on
> other types of pollution.
GOOD point, but there are solutions for getting electricity or power
from things besides overhead lines, for trams... and buses.
>  Velib deal w Decaux supposedly cut down the total
> number of billboards by some percentage, making the remaining ones more
> lucrative.
LESS of bad thing, if that is true.

>   TransMillenio as an agency now earning half its money from add
> revenue.

PLEASE refer to Lloyd's email from the other day about public financing
and don't forget to take your anti-pragmatism/pro-solidarity vitamins.

- T

p.s. Could someone confirm Lloyd's estimate of Velib costing EUR 1
million to install in Paris? That figure seems low, but, if true, it is
about half of the price of ONE new tram or light-rail vehicle.

p.p.s. For perspective, this
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:FAC_kfir_flight.jpg> is a Colombian
Air Force Kfir fighter bought used from the Israeli Air Force. The price
new was 4.5 million dollars.

[...]

Todd Edelman
Director
Green Idea Factory

Korunní 72
CZ-10100 Praha 10
Czech Republic

Skype: toddedelman
++420 605 915 970
++420 222 517 832

edelman at greenidea.eu
http://greenideafactory.blogspot.com/
www.flickr.com/photos/edelman

Green Idea Factory is a member of World Carfree Network
www.worldcarfree.net