[sustran] Re: [carfree_network] Re: Re: Re: RE: Pollution in Paris... from Bicycles

Lloyd Wright lwright at vivacities.org
Mon Oct 8 21:40:19 JST 2007

Well, there is another way.  It is called public financing.

It is ironic that Paris has principally used taxpayer revenues for
some of the largest municipal roadway investments in the world,
including massive spending on tunnels.  Why does car-based
infrastructure receive the benefit of general taxpayers while
NMT-based infrastructure has to done through private means?

By my calculation, the bicycles provided to date by the advertising
firm represents an investment of approximately 1 million euros.  This
is equal to about 1 km of roadway construction for cars.  It is equal
to about 5% of the cost of 1 km of a roadway tunnel in Paris.

Undoubtedly, Velib is a wonderful project, even with the associated
visual pollution.  However, I am sure we would agree that it probably
would have been a better project if constructed through public funding
without all the advertising.

I recently saw an interesting quote: "In the future, the only
difference between the wealthy and the poor will be the amount of
advertising one is subjected to."

Perhaps the future has arrived.

Best,

Lloyd