[sustran] Re: [carfree_network] RE: Re: RE: Pollution in Paris... from Bicycles

Ian Fiddies ianfiddies at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 8 07:18:14 JST 2007

The bikes are OK, rideable but a bit heavy and I found, at least in Brussels that it was not always that easy to return them as the stations could be full. The reaction on the ground I met from other Brussels cyclists during the Critical Mass
(I was riding one) was mainly negative to the JCDecaux project. The only concrete advantage as far as I can tell is the health benefit of more people cycling. Not wanting to sound negative but providing alterative means of transport appears to lead to more travelling rather than a reduction in car use. JCDeaux are guilty of Greenwash. I love the idea of free bikes for all but just like lunches… does the end justify the means?
Ian Fiddies

From: operations at velomondial.netTo: edelman at greenidea.infoCC: sustran-discuss at list.jca.apc.org; vojta.toman at volny.cz; petr.stepanek at cityofprague.cz; sfbike at lists.riseup.net; carfree_network at lists.riseup.net; michal.krivohlavek at auto-mat.cz; maremar at volny.cz; othercine at hotmail.com; ondrej.velek at ecn.cz; office at ecf.comDate: Sun, 7 Oct 2007 23:43:35 +0200Subject: [carfree_network] RE: Re: RE: Pollution in Paris... from Bicycles

Hi Todd,

You will realize that I disagree with all the ideological stuff you wrote. I am happy that you agree with my energy saving analyses.
I am curious about possible other possible positions.

In the meantime I give you this Velo Mondial initiative:
Amsterdam never used cycling and cycling planning as a means of cleaning the air in the city. European measures now oblige Amsterdam to act. With the introduction of a 'Main Network for Emission Free Traffic' , modes of transport that do not emit, like electric cars, bike taxis, Segways, roller skates, skeelers and bicycles, will get an improved and much wider space (8 meters) to move fast in the city. As a consequence car lanes will have to be taken out to allow for emission free lanes to be built....... Provided the City Council accepts these plans.
Read more: http://velomondial.blogspot.com/2007/10/main-network-emission-free-traffic.html

Pascal J.W. van den Noort
Executive Director Velo Mondial

Velo Mondial's Blog

www.velomondial.net
www.velo.info
http://spicycles.velo.info
operations at velomondial.net
+31206270675 landline
+31627055688 mobile phone

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----Van: Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory [mailto:edelman at greenidea.info] Verzonden: zondag 7 oktober 2007 23:26Aan: Pascal van den NoortCC: 'Global 'South' Sustainable Transport'; 'Vojtech Toman'; petr.stepanek at cityofprague.cz; 'SFBIKE List List'; 'WCN list'; 'Michal Krivohlavek, Auto*Mat'; 'martin Marecek'; 'craig baldwin'; 'Ondrej Velek'; office at ecf.comOnderwerp: [carfree_network] Re: RE: Pollution in Paris... from Bicycles

Hi Pascal,

I suppose I agree with you about the energy issue. I agree with you that
the cycling part of this programme is amazing.

But if a programme like this is so important to a city why do deals have
to made that create other types of pollution, which cannot be balanced
against the energy reduction in transport? What about the content of the
billboards themselves?

I hope that every true colour in our rainbow of sustainability remembers
what solidarity means.

I hope that you also understand how closely tied together is mass
advertising and mass automobilisation.... cars are a big part of this
image war. BMW sponsoring VeloCity in Munich... four car companies
sponsoring the biggest consortium of Central, Eastern and Southeastern
European environmental foundations (one intermediary away from World
Carfree Network)... Shell, pushing oil for personal cars all over the
world while it supports BRT projects in a only couple of cities... and
JCDecaux's support of cycling in a few European cities, but working
against this in others
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/edelman/sets/72157602171242536> ... these
are all pacifiers that all-too-easily find willing mouths in which it
seems the teeth are hiding.

No deals, says this criticaster.

- T

Pascal van den Noort wrote:

> Friends,
>

> This mass outing in Paris attacking the billboards on Friday night is
> naïve.
>
> The way Parisians massively take up cycling, thanks to the Billboard
> Company and the Paris City Authorities, saving dramatic kilowatts of
> electricity and cleaning the air in Paris, outways the use of
> electricity in the billboard big time.
>

> It is amazing that overnight a whole city can take up cycling, more
> than any criticaster has achieved; in two months over 5,5 million
> times these bicycles were used.
>

> I think this populist campaign is unwarranted. It would be naïve if we
> would condone this not very bright action.
>

> The car free movement as well as the pro environment movement should
> say NO to these silly initiatives of these Parisian protesters.
>

> Pascal J.W. van den Noort
>
> Velo Mondial
>
> http://velomondial.blogspot.com <http://velomondial.blogspot.com/>

Todd Edelman
Director
Green Idea Factory

Korunní 72
CZ-10100 Praha 10
Czech Republic

Skype: toddedelman
++420 605 915 970
++420 222 517 832

edelman at greenidea.eu
http://greenideafactory.blogspot.com/
www.flickr.com/photos/edelman

Green Idea Factory is a member of World Carfree Network
www.worldcarfree.net