[sustran] cost to a city of a single say 3 km. car trip during the day?

eric.britton eric.britton at free.fr
Mon Oct 8 15:30:28 JST 2007

1.       What is the cost to a city - to your city? - of a single say 3 km.
car trip during the day?

a.       For the usual mix: including explicit to the city costs (I guess
that might be mainly road maintenance but there may be others that do not
come immediately to mind) -- and also of course  the environmental and other
external costs.

b.      I understand that most of the costs will be in the latter categories
- and I understand as well that these are not for the most part born by the
city (as an accounting unit).

c.       But still if I am a responsible 21st century mayor, I would want to
know that number because it would help me make a lot of good decisions.

d.      It might be handy to see these in a bit of detail, but it is really
the bottom line number (and its explanation) that holds the key

2.       It would be great if you could lend a hand with this.

3.       And BTW, if I know this, then I can start to play with it in order
to think about how the city might take an active role in financing a city
bike project such as Vélib' or the one your mayor may be thinking about.

Your good help in this will be your own reward,

;-)

PS. Again, if the Greening of Paris series and the in-process Vélib' policy
brief interest you at all, this is to let you know that the latter is being
updated about twice a day and that you can find it on the left menu at
http://www.invent.newmobility.org. As indicated earlier, comments, etc. are
warmly welcome. It looks as if we will have this fully in the bag by the end
of the week, but it already is a pretty good read (I am told).