[sustran] Wanted: Self-damaging public transport and cycling ads... and positive examples from pop culture

Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory edelman at greenidea.info
Mon Oct 1 22:48:47 JST 2007

Wanted: Self-damaging public transport and cycling ads... and positive
examples of PT from pop culture

What does this mean, exactly?

In regards to public transport, it means things like this:

<http://www.flickr.com/photos/edelman/sets/72157602171242536/>

That is:

* Adverts on public transport vehicles or adjacent support structures
owned or managed by the public transport provider, advertising
companies, etc. which portrays PT in a negative light, insults
customers/passengers.. and so on.

(This does not mean things like the infamous "Creeps and Weirdos"
<http://www.memyi.us/images/creeps.jpg> which is negative about PT but
was not - as far as I know - placed in the spaces I mention. By the way,
notice the bike rack on the front of the bus?)

* In regards to cycling, it can be less direct, meaning, e.g. automobile
or other anti-environment ads in spaces in Lyon or Paris owned by
JCDecaux which are part of the Velib public bikes deal.

* And it can also mean bicycle ads or marketing which portray using PT
as slow, crowded, etc.

* Positive examples from pop culture would be things like this:
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x9fADPS9qI>, or this
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOl1e5FRAUc> or even fun stuff like
this: <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_2gW3zwMMQ>

PT does not have to be the main focus of the piece... and it is better
if it is not.

* Bad portrayals of PT in pop culture and the media will inevitably show
up in this investigation, but they are not what I am most interested in.

* Also, if anyone has information on contracts between PT operators and
any advertising contractors which specifically prohibit self-damaging
adverts I would be happy to get it.

+++++

I am collecting all this stuff to put on my Flickr page and/or my Blog
and later on a website, for all to use. It depends on what kinds of
contributions I receive. I think there are some collections of this
stuff already out there, right?

Thanks for your help,

Todd Edelman
Director
Green Idea Factory

Korunní 72
CZ-10100 Praha 10
Czech Republic

Skype: toddedelman
++420 605 915 970
++420 222 517 832

edelman at greenidea.eu
http://greenideafactory.blogspot.com/
www.flickr.com/photos/edelman

Green Idea Factory is a member of World Carfree Network
www.worldcarfree.net