[sustran] New Mobility N/S City Partners Program

eric.britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Wed Nov 28 20:21:22 JST 2007

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

In case you missed it, today we are officially launching a massive outreach
program in an attempt to get support for the work being carried out in the
Reinventing Transport in Cities series, and in particular  our first New
Mobility Policy Brief, this one a mayor's guide to City Bike Strategies. You
can see all about it if you click to http://www.velib.newmobility.org

But the reason that I am writing you on this today, has to do with the
decision to create a kind of informal "New Mobility N/S City Partners
Program", whereby in-coming sponsors will be invited to give us the name of
a public interest group or someone working on these issues in the developing
countries - so that we can then supply a free copy of the reports in this
series to them as well at no cost. As you can well imagine, we need to be
able to obtain the financial support from those cities and agencies who can
afford it - but at the same time we would be remiss in our historical
self-chosen function to help as best we can the move to better and more
sustainable transport in the cities of the developing world.

And here is perhaps where you may come in.

It would be appreciated if you might supply us with the names and contact
information for groups working on these common challenges in the developing
countries who could make good use of these reports. (You might bear in mind
that while this first one is on city bikes, you will shortly be hearing from
us on city strategies to get the most out of BRT, unified fare cards, car
control strategies, carsharing and green driving. It is likely that these
last may be more immediately pertinent to developing world cities, but all
this in good time.)

Of course when it comes to the mega cities and the concerned government
agencies themselves, I think (but perhaps you can counsel me on this) that
the idea of free copies is not going to do much good. We need to get their
full attention, and one way of getting it is to have them reach into their
wallets and find the money to pay for these services (exactly as they do
when they want to build new roads and bridges, though to be sure on a
somewhat more modest scale). What we do intend to offer however will be a
substantial (50%) discount to cities and agencies which are recommended by
the independent individuals and public interest groups working on these
challenges in their city. An example: if any of our colleagues approach the
concerned agencies in say Pune or perhaps our city, well they will be able
to offer to make the report available to the concerned city or national
agency at a discount of say 50%. In this way, the city/agency saves
themselves a pile of money, and at the same time understand that the reason
they are getting this break is because some of their own citizen groups
working on these matters have made the discount possible. One more small
move to tightening the partnerships that are the soul of sustainable cities
and their mobility systems.

I will be grateful to have your thoughts on this. Perhaps it will be a
saving of time and trouble for the others if you contact me directly, but
maybe too what you have to say or propose will be useful to the group as a
whole. Your call.

With all good wishes,

Eric Britton

Reinventing Transportation in Cities - at
<http://www.invent.newmobility.org/> http://www.invent.newmobility.org/

The Greening of Transport in Paris -  <http://www.paris.newmobility.org/>
http://www.paris.newmobility.org/

City Bike Strategies - Policy Brief -
<http://www.citybike.newmobility.org/> http://www.citybike.newmobility.org/

Europe: 8/10 rue Joseph Bara, 75006 Paris,  France.    T:  +331 4326 1323

USA: 9440 Readcrest Dr., Los Angeles, CA  90210.     T: +1 310 601-8468

E.  <mailto:eric.britton at ecoplan.org> eric.britton at ecoplan.org. E2.
<mailto:fekbritton at gmail.com> fekbritton at gmail.com Skype: newmobility

The Commons: A wide open, world-wide open society forum concerned with
improving our understanding and control of technology as it impacts on
people in our daily lives. Seeking out and pioneering new transformational
concepts for concerned citizens, activists, community groups, entrepreneurs
and business. Supporting local government as that closest to the people and
the problems. Increasing the uncomfort zone for hesitant administrators and
politicians.  And through our long term world-wide collaborative efforts,
energy and personal choices, placing them and ourselves firmly on the path
to a more sustainable and more just world.