[sustran] Open Versus Closed Busways

Jonathan E. D. Richmond richmond at alum.mit.edu
Tue Nov 20 16:47:08 JST 2007

We are in the process of writing Terms of Reference for study and
implementation of a new Busway/BRT system in Mauritius to serve the dense
and highly congested suburban corridor stretching from the capital city,
Port Louis, to the town of Curepipe to the south. We have a disused rail
right of way which we will be using.

Last year, we held consensus forums with twenty major stakeholders, which
resulted in a recommendation to proceed with an open busway -- this means
that existing operators who meet strict service standards we propose to
fix will be allowed to operate routes starting or finishing off the
busway, while using the busway for express operations.

I would very much welcome information and advice from anyone on issues
connected with open busway operation. I am concerned to hear that a number
of BRT systems have been started on an "open" concept, but not been
successful -- information on reasons for success or failure would be very
useful.

There are reasons to go for an "open" approach beyond the clear political
rationale that this will promise future participation for existing bus
operators and their labor. Many residential areas lie beyond the immediate
reach of the busway, while direct service -- without the need for
connections at busway stations -- is likely to be most attractive to those
currently driving to work. Direct services would also cut down for the
need for complex interchange facilities and parking at the busway stations
themselves -- and this may be important as there is limited space
available at a numnber of the locations.

We are concerned about how we might run the facility to permit the maximum
efficient throughput of buses while avoiding congestion. Would a signal
system run by a central control centre be one appropriate approach? Has
anyone tried this?

One option would be to provide passing lanes at all stations so that buses
coming from beyond the busway could operate express to Port Louis while
avoiding causing congestion at stations. We might even be able to combine
"closed" and "open" concepts, with an "all-stations" service operated by
one operator or consortium, while other operators use the facility as an
expressway but do not serve intermediate stations.

Any informal ideas would be much appreciated. If you are not already on
our informal mailing list and might potentially be interested in offering
consulting services, please also feel free to ask to be added to the list,
although you should note that we are planning extensive international
advertising of the project according to formal procurement rules.

Many thanks,

                       --Jonathan

-----
Jonathan Richmond
Transport Adviser to the Government of Mauritius
Ministry of Public Infrastructure, Land Transport and Shipping
Level 4
New Government Centre
Port Louis
Mauritius