[sustran] Re: contracting out parking to private concessionaires

Zvi Leve zvi at inro.ca
Sat May 19 07:38:50 JST 2007

I am more familiar with the North American scenario where a city
'offloads' the maintenance/enforcement of their on-street parking to a
private company. The private company typically pays a certain price (or
perhaps an annual fee) for the concession, but they do not have the
authority to set parking fees. They often can add additional meters if
necessary and of course will provide more 'robust' enforcement. I am not
aware of the private companies assuming any obligations on the 'service'
side of things....

 From a political point of view, I imagine that it isdifficult to allow
a private firm to charge whatever they thought the market would support
(plus there are all sorts of social equity issues). This is a
fundamental issue with transportation planning: is transportation
infrastructure a public good or not? If yes, then how is it to be
shared? And who is to pay for it?

Zvi