[sustran] Re: contracting out parking to private concessionaires

Madhav Badami, Prof. madhav.g.badami at mcgill.ca
Sat May 19 07:37:58 JST 2007

Hello all,

There is another interesting dimension to this problem -- while parking control and pricing is a major factor in TDM, in many low-income Asian countries, where scooters, motorcycles and mopeds form as much as 70% of the motor vehicle fleet, controlling (let alone charging for) parking is a major challenge, given that these vehicles can be -- and are -- parked almost anywhere (and everywhere).

Madhav

"As for the future, your task is not to foresee, but to enable it."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Madhav G. Badami, PhD
School of Urban Planning and McGill School of Environment
McGill University
Macdonald-Harrington Building
815 Sherbrooke Street West
Montreal, QC, H3A 2K6, Canada

Phone: 514-398-3183 (Work); 514-486-2370 (Home)
Fax: 514-398-8376; 514-398-1643
URLs: www.mcgill.ca/urbanplanning
www.mcgill.ca/mse
e-mail: madhav.badami at mcgill.ca