[sustran] Re: UN Ambassador for Transport in Cities

Lew Fulton Lew.Fulton at unep.org
Tue May 15 15:06:19 JST 2007

I guess Gore is worth a shot, though I suspect he has bigger fish to fry
(like he would rather be UN ambassador on "saving the planet"...). In any
case I am passing these suggestions along to my colleague who will in turn
be trying to drum up support for the concept within the UN system. Will get
back to you all with news ASAP (i.e. a year or two from now :-)

             "Lee Schipper"
             <SCHIPPER at wri.org
                                       <eric.britton at ecoplan.org>, "Lew
             14/05/2007 19:28          Fulton" <Lew.Fulton at unep.org>
                                                                        cc
                                       "Global 'South' Sustainable
                                       Transport"
                                       <sustran-discuss at list.jca.apc.org>
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: UN Ambassador for Transport in
                                       Cities

None of us who travel in work could pass a CO2 test -  Eric did the first
real teleconference I know of (in March 1996 sent to Vancouver) and saved
fuel in a meeting where Laurie Michaelis calculated the meeting cost some
few hundred giga joules (at 79 kg CO2/gigajoule) to get the rest of us
there.

So I think Gore might actually be the person. His own house or travel
doesn't disqualify him. And we don't expect he'll have a new job soon!

>>> "Eric Britton" <eric.britton at ecoplan.org> 5/14/2007 12:20 PM >>>
Numerous nominations continue to float in. Al Gore of course, but could he
pass a CO2 test?  Someone else asked why we were only talking about males
thus far. Good point.

Then one very naughty colleague has proposed Paris Hilton. Of course as a
soon non-driver . . .

(Letter unsigned)