[sustran] Re: UN "ambassador" for public transport?

Lew Fulton Lew.Fulton at unep.org
Mon May 14 16:25:53 JST 2007

I think Enrique Penalosa is perfect in the sense that he is the real deal,
is a visionary, is inspiring and is fluent in key languages. But he's not
widely known outside of transport and urban sustainability circles.  If we
could have him star in a major hollywood film, that would do the trick,
though I tend to doubt that's on his agenda, or theirs...

Probably the key is to get in touch with some big agents and see what stars
take transit (obviously they don't live in LA) and would be interested.
I'll look into our ambassador system doing this, but in the mean time, if
anyone finds out about any stars who have even once in their life been on a
bus, let me know :-).

Lew

             "Todd Edelman,
             Green Idea
             Factory"                                                   To
             <edelman at greenide         "Global 'South' Sustainable
             a.info>                   Transport"
             Sent by:                  <sustran-discuss at list.jca.apc.org>
             sustran-discuss-b                                          cc
             ounces+lew.fulton
             =unep.org at list.jc                                     Subject
             a.apc.org                 [sustran] Re: UN "ambassador" for
                                       public transport?

             13/05/2007 21:45

             Please respond to
             edelman at greenidea
               .info; Please
                respond to
              "Global 'South'
                Sustainable
                Transport"
             <sustran-discuss@
             list.jca.apc.org>

Hi,

Again, I think there is a reason many or perhaps all of these Goodwill
Ambassadors are not current, former or future political figures. I am
not hiding any bias against Penalosa and I wish that more politicians of
all genders had his cajones, but he is perhaps too obvious a supporter
of whatever we end up telling UNEP what we want to call "appropriate,
desirable and sustainable transport solutions (ADSTS) for cities and
regions which are designed to decrease the need for mobility (DDNM)".

In regards to the oft-heard and generally reasonable complaint about
underground metros costing the equivalent of one million years worth of
GNPs of every developing country in the universe, don't you think we
need someone who is powerful enough to tell various parties that he or
she thinks they might want to consider shifting some dineros, shekels,
sea dollars or salt wafers from their military spending - usually way,
way-ay-ay more absurd than an inappropriate metro - to ADSTS and DDNM?

- T

sustran-discuss-bounces+pendakur=interchange.ubc.ca at list.jca.apc.org