[sustran] Re: UN "ambassador" for public transport?

Lee Schipper schipper at wri.org
Mon May 14 01:34:35 JST 2007

Bruntland was pressed into service recently, I think for Climate.
The time I met her in Norway at a meeting her Volvo was kept outside
with the engine running the whole time!

Lee Schipper
Director of Research
EMBARQ, the WRI Center
for Sustainable Transport
10 G St. NE
Washington DC, 20002
+1202 729 7735
FAX +1202 7297775
www.embarq.wri.org

>>> "Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory" <edelman at greenidea.info>
5/13/2007 12:27:31 PM >>>
Hi,

Nice idea but I think if it is not someone who actually takes public
transport regularly - and can prove it - it will be counter-productive.

There might be some stars of the cultural world in New York City who do

the subway and the taxi... ask your colleagues on First Avenue for some

helpful hints.

As examples, the actress Drew Barrymore is the UN Goodwill Ambassador
for the World Food Programme...
Angelina Jolie is the Ambassador for the UN High Commissioner for
Refugees...
Brad Pitt and George Clooney are also Goodwill Ambassadors, though not

sure for which UN agency...

...aside from the Hollywood people there is this:
<http://www.un.org.eg/ambassdors.htm>

***

Penalosa was suggested but everyone else seems to be culture people - I

suppose because they can be or seem more neutral. Clooney, on the other

hand is rather Left on some things...

- T

Lew Fulton wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> A UN colleague of mine is interested in exploring finding someone
with star
> power who is (or could logically be) an advocate for public transport
and
> might be interested in becoming a "UN Ambassador" on the topic.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lew
>
> Lew Fulton
> Program Officer, Sustainable Transport
> Division of GEF Coordination
> UN Environment Programme
> PO Box 30552-00100, Nairobi, Kenya
> tel: +254 20 762 3257 (From Europe and N.America, you can dial via
Italy,
> often a better connection: +39 0831 24 3000, wait for voice then dial
124
> 3257)
> fax: +254 20 762 4041/42
> lew.fulton at unep.org
> www.unep.org/gef

to join the real sustran-discuss and get full membership rights. The
yahoogroups version is only a mirror and 'members' there cannot post to
the real sustran-discuss (even if the yahoogroups site makes it seem
like you can). Apologies for the confusing arrangement.

equitable and sustainable transport with a focus on developing countries
(the 'Global South').

Todd Edelman
Director
Green Idea Factory