[sustran] Re: Fuel consumed by idling

Madhav Badami, Prof. madhav.g.badami at mcgill.ca
Thu May 10 23:58:46 JST 2007

Re: the technical issue of idling before I sign off for the day ... I said that CO2 is strictly a function of fuel consumed. I was thinking about it, and it occurred to me that this would not be the case on two-stroke motorcycles for example, where as much as 30% of the fuel-air charge can escape unburned through the exhaust due largely to “mixture short-circuiting”. Perhaps I should have said "fuel burned" rather than "fuel consumed".

One other point ... As for the share of idling in trip fuel consumption and emissions, or for that matter, the share of trip-end (cold start and hot soak) emissions that Zvi Leve brought up, the situation is likely to be different in different contexts, on account of vehicle technology and driving cycle differences.

Madhav

"As for the future, your task is not to foresee, but to enable it."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Madhav G. Badami, PhD
School of Urban Planning and McGill School of Environment
McGill University
Macdonald-Harrington Building
815 Sherbrooke Street West
Montreal, QC, H3A 2K6, Canada

Phone: 514-398-3183 (Work); 514-486-2370 (Home)
Fax: 514-398-8376; 514-398-1643
URLs: www.mcgill.ca/urbanplanning
www.mcgill.ca/mse
e-mail: madhav.badami at mcgill.ca