[sustran] Re: Fuel consumed by idling

Madhav Badami, Prof. madhav.g.badami at mcgill.ca
Thu May 10 22:17:08 JST 2007

Hello all,

Quite apart from what idling (or indeed motor vehicle activity generally) does in terms of air pollution and energy consumption, I think there is a larger picture here, that it is important that we do not lose sight of.

I think it is unwise to look at the urban transport problem through the prism of only air pollution, or energy, or whatever (important though each of these issues is). This is because policies to address one urban transport impact can not only fail to address but in fact exacerbate other impacts. As we all know, attempts to smoothen motor vehicle traffic flow in order to address congestion (and fuel consumption and air pollution) can affect accessibility, and particularly so when there is, as in many low income countries, a very large number of pedestrians.

Smart urban transport policy should therefore look for ways to simultaneously address a wide range of urban transport impacts, at low cost; indeed, a "reconciliation of valid opposites", to use EF Schumacher's felicitious terminology, is what public policy should do generally.

Trying to address multiple urban transport objectives (accessibility, energy consumption, air pollution, road safety, and so on) so that we end up with a system that is low cost, ecologically benign, and socially just, is particularly important in low income countries, where urban transport impacts are severe (despite low levels of motorization), on account of poor quality technologies, highly constrained financial and administrative resources, and a large share of the populace has no ability to own and operate motor vehicles but yet are heavily exposed to and affected by their impacts.

Particularly in such situations, ensuring accessibility, I would argue, is the absolutely number 1 priority. After all, a significant proportion of trips are short distance and capable of being conducted by foot. If we can ensure that these trips are indeed conducted by foot (which is increasingly not the case, precisely because access is being severely compromised thanks to rapidly growing motor vehicle activity, planning to accommodate it, and utter disregard for pedestrians and cyclists), and provide convenient and affordable public transit, then air pollution and (fossil fuel!) energy consumption would not be such a big deal, and we wouldn't have to fuss about how much idling contributes to either.

Cheers,

Madhav

"As for the future, your task is not to foresee, but to enable it."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Madhav G. Badami, PhD
School of Urban Planning and McGill School of Environment
McGill University
Macdonald-Harrington Building
815 Sherbrooke Street West
Montreal, QC, H3A 2K6, Canada

Phone: 514-398-3183 (Work); 514-486-2370 (Home)
Fax: 514-398-8376; 514-398-1643
URLs: www.mcgill.ca/urbanplanning
www.mcgill.ca/mse
e-mail: madhav.badami at mcgill.ca