[sustran] Naked streets

Zvi Leve zvi at inro.ca
Wed May 9 04:45:09 JST 2007

I don't have much time to respond, but I would like to just add a few
quick points on the subject of "naked streets". As has already been
pointed out, this method may not be appropriate in all situations. In
mixed-use residential areas where the traffic volumes are not that high
and the drivers are respectful of other road users this method should
work just fine. On the other hand, I have witnessed first-hand the
dynamics when the traffic signals go out in a number of different places
and it is quite impressive how quickly complete grid-lock can set in! By
grid-lock I am referring to the situation where /no one is going
anywhere/ because an intersection is completely blocked and the traffic
behind the blocked intersection prevents anyone from backing up
(remember the blackout on the US East coast a few years back? no one
could drive!). In developing regions, where there is still a lack of
basic accessibility to large portions of the population, I think that it
is perhaps premature to consider this concept. As an Iranian colleague
once said to me: "if you can't even get from point A to point B who
really cares about road safety?"

Concerning Todd's remarks about round-abouts versus junctions: yes
round-abouts can keep traffic 'flowing' more smoothly, but they only
work well up to certain volumes. Once there is too much traffic on
multiple entering legs they tend to get 'blocked' and may actually work
worse than signalized intersections (in terms of the through-put at least).

Cheers,

Zvi