[sustran] Re: Indian roads - planes, cows, elephants, mosques

K. Tsourlakis ktsourl at mailbox.gr
Tue May 8 21:29:36 JST 2007

The mistake hidden in this rationalization is that it erroneously assumes that traffic volume will remain constant after the intervention (in this case, after traffic lights abolition). But actually any facilitation of car use will increase car use and traffic. This kind of fallacy is constantly used, not only as a justification, but also for greenwashing of various motorized traffic projects, like parkings (they deter drivers to burn fuel for searching park space), motorways (less congestion hence less fuel use and pollution) even parks and pedestrian spaces destruction (they are more efficiently used).

In the case of traffic lights removal there is in addition the danger to discourage walking and biking and thus to encourage even further car and motorcycle use. I am very sceptical about the general friendliness of the "naked streets" concept. It may indeed work in small Dutch or German towns, but in the case of Indian (and lot of other places) cities, it clearly creates an inhuman environment.

However I think we can draw some very useful conclusions from these experiments and the undoubtedly fact that less accidents happen there. For instance when very often the corrupt and car use favouring administrations (using the above described perverted way of justification) set up barriers along the sidewalks, as a measure supposedly to protect pedestrians from car "accidents". But it turns out from these "naked street" cases, that this intervention creates a more dangerous environment (not only for pedestrians, but also for car and motorcycle users), because it gives to the drivers a false sense of security and encourages speeding.

I am inclined to conclude that the best environment is created when regulations are completeley stripped out for pedestrians, are minimal for bikers and are strictly enforced to motorized traffic.